Born in 1984 in Los Angeles, California
- Co-founder of Black Lives Matter
- Outspoken advocate for the rights of black and queer women
- Named an NAACP History Maker in 2015
- Named Glamour Magazine Woman of the Year in 2016
- Awarded the Sydney Peace Prize in 2017; "Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors and Opal Tometi and the many other Black Lives Matter leaders challenge us all to rethink, reimagine and reconstruct the societies we live in. This is an urgent and vital challenge".
- Served as executive director of the Coalition to End Sheriff Violence in L.A. Jails
“What is the impact of not being valued? How do you measure the loss of what a human being does not receive?”